Tuesday, May 24, 2005

IKE WARNED US ABOUT BUSH-- in 1954!!

>

I went to see Intangible play at the Roxy last night. It was their record release party. Their first CD is in stores today! (And their music is on the iTunes music store.) But I was up late (and missed South Park) so I'm playing catch up this morning. I do have one thought I want to pass along today though. First, I have to admit that although I wasn't a fan of President Eisenhower-- my family firmly supported Adlai Stevenson both times he ran-- he did say some interesting things worth noting. "Everyone" knows about his Washingtonian warning about the dangers of the Military-Industrial Complex. This ditty isn't quite as well known-- but should be! Especially now.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things.  Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid."

-President Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1954 (source:  Eisenhower Presidential Papers, Document #1147; November 8, 1954 The Papers of Dwight David Eisenhower, Volume XV - The Presidency: The Middle Way Part VI: Crises Abroad, Party Problems at Home; September 1954 to December 1954,) Chapter 13: "A new phase of political experience"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home